Slow Progress

It has not been a good year to be doing anything outside – least of all building.  I’m sure we had not had a dry 24Hrs for months until last week when we managed about 3 days dry.

We have now got all the rear part of the roof insulated and ‘felted’ ready for the tiles.  Brian is working round the house getting all the rafter sprockets and fascia on and then it is just the 130mm PIR insulation and the membrane.  We had a slight hiccup on this front as it was not immediately available so we have waited just over a week for it.  Still the tiles are not here yet so that is not a major issue and he has had plenty to get on with.

I have got the scaffolding off someone I know and Iain has helped me put it up.  We have made a pretty good job of it though I say that myself!

Velux Windows

One of the new aspects was the fitting of the Velux windows. I have gone for top spec triple glazed units with a new recessed flashing and insulated collar which significantly improves the U-Value. So Brian was working with the unknown of a new fitting system and fitting it to external insulation.  The other key issue was the position of the window as the lowest open part of the window must be no higher than 1100mm for fire regs. Chris at U-Roof had done a load of work trying to get the height right but we still needed to do some adjustments on site.

In the end it was simpler that we thought.  I had in my mind that we would need to do something similar to the roof edge to build a wooden frame but we have simply mounted them on the 38×50 battens with a 25mm cross piece (as the roof battens will be steel). It does remain to be seen if this work with the Nu-Lok roof but I expect it will.

Velux insulated collar sitting in the insulation before final fitting.

Velux fitted on battens

Velux from inside showing the grey insulated collar. Insulation will be cut back so the opening is horizontal to increase light.

I think we will need some sealing tape to make this airtight though.

The Velux Windows In

Be Sociable, Share!
This entry was posted in general, Selfbuild. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Slow Progress

  1. Mesut says:

    The issue for me was that using PIR on the outside of the steel frame, acalutly fitting the sarking would have been a major job (self drilling screws) and I think it would have needed to be lifted off the PIR for ventilation underneath. I found the Nu-Lok system to be comparable in price so I did not pursue it further.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *